Recognizing the importance of reducing water use in the face of California’s extreme drought, Caltech began addressing the issue well before government regulations were tightened; some of those efforts are described below. For more on how the Institute is working to address the complex challenges around the drought, visit sustainability.caltech.edu.
Meanwhile, here are a few facts about Caltech’s water conservation efforts:
- Caltech has reduced total water consumption by more than 40 percent in the last 8 years.
- 10 of the 13 water features on campus use recirculating water.
- The nine LEED buildings on campus are 30 percent more water-efficient than code requires.
- 74 percent of grass cover on campus is low water use turf.
- Caltech currently has 16 water conservation projects in the works.